Hot food delivery is booming. Research firm Statista says delivery is now the fastest-growing sector of the South African food industry with sales of approximately R11 billion per annum while food delivery app Mr Delivery alone is said to have more than 700,000 regular monthly users. So how do food businesses seize the opportunity?
Scaling up, or down, through a cloud kitchenThe cloud kitchen is a burgeoning hospitality phenomenon that started in Europe and is steadily gaining global traction. At a 'virtual', 'cloud' or 'ghost' kitchen different brands can rent a dedicated kitchen within a large purpose-built space and operate an efficient delivery-only service where the focus is on providing the best food delivery experience.
Jozi Cloud Kitchens, is one of the first major Joburg cloud kitchen facilities, opening in Bryanston in March, making it perfectly placed to service the northern suburbs' most populous neighbourhoods such as Fourways, Rivonia, Parkmore and Sandton Central. Setting it apart from other dark kitchen-style venues – it's a hybrid facility that also offers businesses shop-front brand exposure providing essential visibility, complemented by a communal dining area. Rentals are competitive, and food businesses here will form part of a community.
Included in the Cloud Kitchen rental is:
- Essential commercial kitchen equipment
- Daily cleaning of communal areas and regular deep cleans of the kitchens
Jozi Cloud Kitchens is also developing an in-house ordering and delivery app called Jozi Feast, offering competitive service fees for all retailers in the space. Businesses need only bring their own ingredients, utensils and staff to get started.
Book a Jozi Cloud Kitchens Open Day visit in February
Throughout February Jozi Cloud Kitchens are hosting open days every Wednesday from 12:00-14:00 (booking details below).
This is for you if you:
- Operate a food truck or a market stall, or want to increase your footprint out of an established venue;
- Your restaurant is in recovery and you're looking to start a more affordable delivery-only model;
- You have a new concept with low start-up capital and want to test your product on the market;
- You are a meal kit specialist who needs low overhead facilities to expand your offerings.
Open day visitors will get a tour of the kitchens and insight into the cloud kitchen model. New tenants can get cooking in March.