When Germany invaded the Soviet Union in 1941 they advanced so rapidly that by 15 October 1941 their forces were only 16 km from the Moscow Kremlin. The Soviet Government decided to evacuate to Samara (known as Kuibyshev from 1935 to 1990). Consequently a bunker was prepared for Stalin in Samara. The bunker was a precise copy of Stalin’s Moscow bunker and was completed at a rapid pace, being ready on 1 November 1942. The top secret facility was hermetically sealed and located 35 m underground. It was designed to be fully autonomous for five whole days in event of bombing raids and gas attacks. The bunker used the first air reusing system in the Soviet Union and had a large store of fresh food and water with two escape exits. The bunker now houses an exhibition on World War II.