The guard duty in Peter and Paul Fortress has existed since the first months of its foundation. It was only in October of 1926 that the commandant’s supervision of the fortress was abolished. Initially the ceremony was performed by the soldiers and officers from the regiments dislocated in St. Petersburg, then by the soldiers from the permanent city garrison and by the guard regiments since the 1720’s. The modern ceremony of the guard mounting, developed by the military headquarters of St. Petersburg, is a tribute to the tradition. The focal points of this performance are a parade and trooping of the flags of the Russian Federation and St. Petersburg. The guard is mounted on the territory of the Naryshkin Bastion after the traditional 12 o’clock cannon is shot every Saturday during the summer season. The event is free to attend.