This is the most magnificent of the city’s remaining medieval gates. Built in 1488, St. Anthony’s Gate (Sint Anthonispoort) eventually became an official weigh station for merchants, its original purpose as a defensive structure having become obsolete. A number of local guilds also moved into the building and each one had its own entrance. One of the halls was occupied by the Surgeons’ Guild that occasionally dissected a freshly executed criminal, a popular event that was open to the public. Weigh stations and guilds also fell out of fashion over time and the building was used for several different purposes over the years, but since 1996 it has housed a swanky Dutch restaurant with a great summer terrace on the Nieuwmarkt.