The history of this small zoo dates back to 1898, when Batumi animal defence society founded enclosures for animals. In 1971 the wooden pens were replaced with more modern enclosures and the number of captive species was increased. The focus was to represent the Georgian endemic species: Caucasian brown bear, wolf, jackal, badger, fox and deer. Additionally different exotic animals and birds, such as monkeys, eagles, parrots and peacocks were added. Today the site spreads over two hectares. Another small zoo corner is located on Ninoshvili Street, not far from Sheraton Batumi Hotel.