The original pier was built in 1936, in typical steel construction with a wooden boardwalk adjacent to the new municipal Sea Baths. It was linked to the casino in the Sea Gardens by elegant stone stairs. In the 1980s it was replaced by a rather less attractive concrete bridge but continued to be a favourite hang out for bathers and promenaders. It was renovated ( and reinforced) in 2013 and is now once again open and serves as the departure point for the boat trips out to the island of St.Anastasia. Every year on Yordanovden, 6th January, the priest throws a cross into the icy waters as brave young men battle to be the first to retrieve it.