The Royal Palace has existed since the 14th century as the residence of Aragonese, Spanish and then Savoy Viceroys. The present-day setting of the building is the result of major restoration works by Savoy military engineers in the 18th century. Between 1779 and 1815, it became the official residence of the Savoy court, during their exile from Turin due to the French occupation of Piedmont. When Cagliari ceased to be the official capital of the Kingdom, the Palace lost its institutional role and came under the Provincial authority, which it still is. The Palace can be visited and although there aren't any guided tours as such, with the aid of audio-visual equipment (for the moment only in Italian), it is possible to wonder through the 18th century halls, adorned with fine painting and frescoes.