The University of Cagliari was officially founded at the beginning of the 17th century, but it had to wait until 1770 to have its own monumental building. Together with the annexed seminar, it was built on a part of the old walls, just yards away from the Elephant Tower and present-day Saint Remy Rampart. The two buildings are adjacent, structured on three levels and each has its own entrance: one leads to the administrative offices of the rectorate and the other to the University Library. Both have inner courtyards and it's usually possible to reach the back and have a small walk on part of the old city walls, with inspiring views of the harbour and the gulf of Cagliari. The ground floor of the Old College also hosts the Luigi Piloni Collection (Collezione Sarda Luigi Piloni, book visit in advance), consisting of seven rooms where ancient maps and prints, Sardinian costumes and artefacts, as well as local religious art and jewellery, are on display.