The beginnings of the history of the Franciscan Sanctuary in Gniezno go back to the mid-thirteenth century. In 1259, when the Franciscans were brought to Gniezno by the Greater Poland prince Bolesław the Pious, under the direction to his wife, Blessed Yolanda (Jolenta in Polish) who was a major benefactor of the monasteries, friaries and hospitals. Around 1290, the construction of a wooden monastery and church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary was completed. At the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries, the monastery of the Poor Clares was built next to the Minorite convent. In the 15th century, a brick church with a tower and an oratory for Poor Clares were erected, connected with the brick monastery. The 1613 fire of Gniezno saw the monastery and church burned down, which had to be rebuilt from scratch. The religious paintings that hang in the church are dated to the 17th century and have been attributed to various miraculous healings!