The church was designed by the architect, builder and councilor G. Ch. Cantian (1796-1866) of Berlin, whose plaque and monogram were placed in the church's narthex. The larger-than-life-sized painting of Christ is the dominant feature of the modest flat-ceiling nave of the church. Some of the windows were donated to the church as a gift from the Emperor Wilhelm II in 1907. The fleche on the rooftop was also a later addition. The church was renovated in 1999.