St Wenceslas' Cathedral with its two-tower face is an integral part of the city skyline. The third, the southern tower standing 100.65 meters high, is the tallest church tower in Moravia (and the second highest in the country). The three-naved hall of the church comes from the original medieval layout.
The Appanage Prince Svatopluk commenced the construction of the Cathedral in 1104-1107. His son Wenceslas continued with the construction and handed over the unfinished building to Olomouc Bishop Jindřich Zdík before his death. The unfinished building was consecrated in 1131. It was completed in 1141 and it became an episcopal Church. The original three-nave Romanesque basilica has undergone numerous modifications and reconstructions. The cathedral was completely rebuilt into a Gothic style after a fire in 1265. It got - indeed, like the whole interior and exterior of the building – a Neo-Gothic appearance at the end of the19th century.