Many Tilburg wedding photos have been taken on the stairs of the Palace-Town Hall. King William II had the place built in 1847 as a country retreat in his favourite town, but he died
in 1849 only 22 days before its completion. In 1864 the Rijks Hogere Burger school was established in the palace and its most famous student was none other than Vincent van Gogh, who studied there for two years. In the south wing of the palace you'll find a reconstruction of Vincent’s art room.
Between the years 1934 and 1936 it was converted into the Town Hall. As the building had several purposes throughout the years, there's not much left of the original design. Windows were replaced and the entrance has been decorated in Art Deco style. Today it's part of the Town Hall and it’s connected by a footbridge to the black box. A marble statue of King William II is located in the main entrance hall and an Art Deco staircase with stained windows can also be seen. A large book market is held on the square in front of the palace each year on the last Sunday of August.