Since 1897, Tilburg has proudly possessed a water tower that still supplies the cleanest spring water in the Netherlands. The construction of the water tower was a positive development for the textile industry as well as public health, as the quality of city water improved by leaps and bounds. The tower is 50m high and built of brick. The entrance is characterised by a frame decorated in a neo-Renaissance style. The tower initially remained intact during WWII because the Germans used it to gain healthy drinking water and also as a watchtower over Tilburg. Unfortunately, it was damaged when the Nazis were driven out of Tilburg.