The Pieterskerk is one of the oldest churches in Utrecht. Its construction began in 1039 and on 1 May 1048 it was consecrated by Bishop Bernold. Today, the crypt containing the illustrious cleric’s stone sarcophagus can still be seen inside. The Pieterskerk was a collegiate church, meaning it could not be visited by average citizens. Only a college of canons, who lived in a secluded, independent enclave were allowed entrance. While the church has changed over the course of time, it's still the most completely preserved Romanesque church in Utrecht.