Overlooking Syntagma Square, it was originally the Royal Palace of King Otto and Queen Amalia, the first monarchs of Greece. Designed in the neoclassical style by Friedrich von Gartner, the palace was completed in 1843. It was used as the Royal Residence until 1924 and, since 1934, has housed the Greek Parliament. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, a monument in honour of the servicemen who fell in the struggle for Greek Independence, is located in the forecourt of the building. The Tomb is guarded by the Presidential Guard (‘Evzones’) in traditional dress, whose intricately orchestrated changing of the guard at the turn of the hour attracts many visitors, who also take the opportunity to feed the ubiquitous flocks of pigeons.