The Banski Dvor Cultural Centre was built from 1929-1932 to become the headquarters of the governor ('Ban') of the Vrbas Banovina province (that which extends from Banja Luka to its outer lying districts, through which the River Vrbas flows). However, from 1955 it was handed over to the city's cultural centre and since 1998 it has been become a public institution. The center’s aim is to combine a number of different types of performance, exhibition, public discussion, lectures and club and art studio under one roof. Much of the inside of the building has been preserved since the 1930s, with the concert and conference still possessing their original designs. This is a multi-faceted cultural hub which is in many ways the lifeblood of Banja Luka's artistic and intellectual community.