Built by the Belfast Charitable Society in 1774, this Georgian 'Poor House' has been gloriously restored and now combines sheltered accommodation and a residential home with a year-round programme of events and conferences. As a Poor House, Clifton was responsible for supplying water and shelter to the needy. Children in its charge were taught spinning and weaving, so beginning the city's dominance in those industries. Two of its founders, Robert and Henry Joy, were joint editors of the Newsletter newspaper and helped develop this important work. Their nephew, United Irishman Henry Joy McCracken, was hanged on High Street for his part in the 1798 Rebellion and buried in Clifton Street Graveyard. Look for the building's white spire, and pop in to peruse its Interpretive Centre or take a guided tour (payable, check ahead for dates).