Located on Gardoš, approached by a path leading from Grobljanska Street. It was built by Hungarians in 1896, to celebrate a thousand years of their presence in the Pannonian Plain. Four such towers were erected on the border, and this one marks the southernmost corner of the empire. It was built on ruins of a 15th century fortress. It has been closed to the public for some time now, but is well worth a visit because Gardoš, an old part of Zemun, is such a quaint romantic place. Only a twittering of swallows interrupts the calm of narrow cobbled streets and rows of low houses. Gardoš features a broad array of small cafés and fish restaurants, and the plateau in front of the tower offers magnificent views of the city.