The fortified church at Ghimbav is less immediately impressive than the others in and around Brasov for the simple reason that urban creep has allowed it to become seriously hemmed in. In some places ugly communist-era blocks were built within spitting distance of the walls.The church itself dates from the 13th century, was fortified in the 1420s and has the distinction of never having been taken in battle. The Turks did get their hands on it, in 1658, but only after a negotiated settlement in which the people of Ghimbav were promised to be be spared if they surrendered. (The Turks in fact took many as slaves, and burnt the church). The church we see it today was rebuilt in the 1690s, but having been neglected in recent decades much of the fortifying wall is now in poor shape. The interior of the church, however, is well worth a look.