So close to the city centre yet strangely forgotten by many, this large park was created for the Romania in the World exhibition which was held here in 1906. (The Technical Museum, to the left of the main entrance, is housed in one of the original exhibition pavilions). Designed by the French landscape artist Eduard Redont, the park is today dominated by the massive Monument to the Heroes of the Struggle for Freedom and Socialism (it stands 48m high) built in 1963 and which until 1990 was a mausoleum which housed the remains of communist leaders Gheorghe Gheorghiu-Dej and Petre Groza (it is today the site of the tomb of Romania's Unknown Soldier). The park offers some pleasant walks along tree-lined paths, playgrounds and terraces, and a good view of central Bucharest from the monument. The open-air Arenele Romane in the west of the park, next to the observatory of the Astronomic Institute of the Romanian Academy is a popular if rather rundown venue for concerts. Close by is the gorgeous Cutitul de Argint Church, built in 1796 and famous for its many exterior icons. On the other side of the park it is worth looking out for the medieval-looking Tepes Castle (which in fact dates from 1906), once a water tower but now used as offices by the Romanian Army's veteran's association.