Next door to the palace is the Old Court Church, the oldest in Bucharest, dating from 1545 (although.it is believed that an even earlier church stood on the same site as early as 1398). Legend has it that when the founder of the current church Mircea Ciobanul would arrive to attend a service, lambs would be sacrificed at the entrance in order to allow the voievod (ruler) to walk over the blood, which apparently gave him strength. The church adopted its current look when it was enlarged in 1715 during the time of Ştefan Cantacuzino, while the superb frescoes inside, painted by maestros Constantin Lecca and Mişu Papa, were added in 1847. The church’s exterior was recently renovated, and it looks better than ever. Sacrificed lambs alas are no longer a feature.
City centre location
The Old Court site is currently closed for architectural research. The Old Court church remains open.