Though the building was constructed in 1958, the organisation of the actual Pomeranian Philharmonic Orchestra had been unsuccessfully trying to form for decades. The first semblance, known as the Pomeranian Philharmonic Society, occurred in 1922 with a collaboration of smaller groups from Bydgoszcz, Toruń and nearby Grudziądz. Though this association lasted for many years, the Nazi invasion of Poland saw many of these musicians flee or be killed, including the murder of orchestral leader Alfons Rezler. It wasn't until 1946 in preparing for the 600th anniversary of Bydgoszcz's founding that a new initiative managed to form the Symphony Orchestra of the Music Society of Bydgoszcz, which is what became the basis of today's Pomeranian Philharmonic Orchestra. With a new prestigious group of musicians came the demands for a 'home base' to house the orchestra and host performances. Thus, this building was finally constructed in 1958, forming the heart of what is now known as 'The Music District'. It has two halls: the main one can seat an audience of 880, while 150 fit in the Chamber Hall.
In 1962, saw the formation of a vocal ensemble named Capella Bydgostiensis, performing Polish folk 'masters' and would become the 2nd resident of the institution. This was also the catalyst behind the Musica Antiqua Europae Orientalis, an 'ancient' music festival that runs every three years and has since become internationally renowned. Around this time, the Bydgoszcz Music Festival began and has continued in various guises until the present day. In the 1970s, an organ-shaped fountain was constructed infront of the Philharmonic, which has been incorporated with a light-show and a number of outdoor performances by the Orchestra.