Commanding a prominent position overlooking Trinity College, this grand colonnaded building was completed in 1739 and was the world's first custom-built Parliament House. It continued as such until the 1800 Act of Union when Ireland came under direct rule from London. Three years later, the Bank of Ireland bought it as their HQ for £40,000. In 1782, Parliamentarian and Act of Union opposer Henry Grattan declared "Ireland is now a nation!", and today his statue stands outside. Inside, marvel at the former Irish House of Lords, large historic tapestries of the Battle of the Boyne and Siege of Derry, and a magnificent 18th Century chandelier glistening with 1,233 crystal pieces.