Built in 1784 for the Earl of Kenmare, the original plasterwork of this fine Georgian townhouse had disappeared completely by 1982 but was restored using photographs taken by Joyce’s friend, Constantine Curran. Prof. Denis J. Maginni ran a Dance Academy from the house and was immortalised by Joyce as a character in Ulysses. The Centre was founded by Senator David Norris and members of the Monaghan family, descendents of Joyce’s sister May. There is an exhibition, archive and bookshop, and visitors are welcome to peruse the library's reference material and translations of Joyce’s works. A reading group - open to the public - meets every Tues from mid-Sept to mid-June at 19:30 to read and discuss Joyce’s work. Themed Walking Tours (€10/8) also run Tues, Thur and Sat from May-Sept and Sat only from Oct-April at 11:00 and 14:00.
As it's not listed, the James Joyce Centre also have a wonderful Dublin wide audio walk of James Joyce's Dubliners, available to rent daily. Essentially you read the book in a day whilst walking around all the locations it's set in. To find out more see www.wonderlandtheatre.com We can highly recommend a happy day of pubs, stories, craic and time travel to Edwardian Dublin.