The Mansion House is the residence of Dublin’s Lord Mayor. Built in 1710 by Joshua Dawson, after whom Dawson St is named, the residence has been in the ownership of Dublin City for nearly 300 years. In 1919 the Mansion House held the first sitting of Dáil Éireann (The Irish Assembly). At the time it convened, the majority of representatives were imprisoned and only 27 members attended. At its first meeting, the Dáil issued a Declaration of Independence, declaring itself the parliament of the Irish Republic, and adopted a short constitution. The Round Room hosts regular exhibitions and the Fire Restaurant is a popular and eloquent place to dine.