Designed by Aleksander Böhm and built between 1899 and 1901 the Opera House in Bytom stands out as a neo-classical masterpiece in a city not necessarily known for its beauty. Originally operating as a theatre, it was granted its current title of Opera House on June 14, 1945, when it was used for the performance of Halka, the first opera to be staged in post-war Poland. Overseen by Adam Didur it quickly assumed a name as one of the leading stages in the country, and a breeding ground for bright young starlets. Making their stage debuts here were Bogdan Paprocki, Romuald Tesarowicz, Anna Lorenc, Jolanta Wrożyna and Wiesław Ochman, all of whom would later go on to assume greatness. It would also become the first Polish opera house to broadcast live, as well as the first one to tour abroad.
Box office open 10:00 - 18:00, Mon 08:00 - 16:00, Sun 2 hours before performance.