The city's 13th-century castle was the country's first defensive bastion and the only double-walled castle in Lithuania. In 1362, after a siege, the Teutonic Knights managed to destroy it, although legend has it that it wasn't completely wrecked and that 36 people survived. The replacement, some of which can be viewed at the site today, dates from around 1368, since which time it's been modernised with sleek glass windows enclosing the top and other additions. Inside are a number of exhibitions, including a history of the castle spread over five spaces within the tower. The dungeons are also worth a visit, and the castle grounds host regular exhibitions, concerts and events during the summer.
City centre location
Open 10:00 - 18:00, Sat 10:00 - 17:00. Closed Mon, Sun.