This part of the city's fortifications was built in 1844. Arguably, this structure's history has more do with defenseless people rather than defending people. It was here that supporters of the Tsar carried out executions of political prisoners, including the leaders of a Polish rebellion, in the 1860s. At the beginning of the 20th century, participants in a revolt of the Kyiv Pioneer Regiment met the same fate. Also during this time, ammunition and weapons were stored in this semi-underground fortress with solid brick and stone walls.