Commonly known as Red Building (by its colour). It was built in 1837-1842 in Russian classicism style. The red and black colours correspond to the colours of the St. Volodymyr Order in Tsar’s Russia. Before 1917, the university was named St. Volodymyr. Since 1839, the university has carried the name of the prominent Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko (1819-1861), which monument stands in front of the University in Shevchenko Park.