Parks & Gardensmore than a year ago
For centuries, Kyiv has had the reputation of being one of Europe’s greenest cities. In the 11th Century, the city’s inhabitants began planting near Pechers’ka Lavra Monastery and in front of Zoloti Vorota (Golden Gate). Descriptions from the 16th and 17th Centuries testify that nearly all the courtyards were adorned with gardens. By the end of the 18th Century, landscaping projects of private manors became more numerous and elaborate, and the chestnut tree planted its roots as the city’s symbol. This led to Kyiv being referred to as a city “buried in verdure”.
The first park was established in Kyiv in 1631, and subsequent parks sprang-up all along the right bank of the Dnipro River. A number of these parks remain, and include Volodymyrska Hirka, Khreschatyk Park, The City Garden, Mariinskyi Park, Askoldova Mohyla and Pechersk Landscape Park.