One of Ljubljana's truly hidden sights that most local residents aren't even aware of, from the early 1700s until the construction of the much larger Žale Cemetery in 1936, it served as the primary destination for the city's recently departed. A plan to transform the area into a grand memorial park and move the tombs of many prominent Slovenians there was championed by famous architect Jože Plečnik and his student at the time Edvard Ravnikar. While a small neo-Classical arcade was initially built and quite a few tombs were in fact relocated, the Axis invasion of Yugoslavia indefinitely postponed the plans, which were then abandoned altogether in the years following the war. After decades of neglect, the cemetery was finally renovated in the early 1990s, and nowadays the long, narrow, tree-filled space is squeezed between a newly built park and some nondescript commercial buildings. Concealed behind its walls are the final resting places of some notable Slovenians including Linhart, Vodnik, Čop, Levstik, Stritar and Aškerc, all of which should sound familiar even to non-historians who have paid attention to the place names on a map of Ljubljana. The entrance is on Vilharjeva Cesta, just across the street from where the passageway under the the train station emerges.