It’s appropriate that this museum of ancient relics is located in one of Lviv’s most ancient churches. St. John the Baptist Church was originally built in 1250, a time of profound transition and growth in the newly established capital of Galicia. Though it has been reconstructed numerous times, an antique feel prevails. The museum opened in 1993 as a branch of the Lviv Art Gallery. Artistic works, sacral relics and archaeological findings tell the enthralling story of ancient life in the region. Dated to the second half of the 14th century, the collection’s “Lviv Virgin and Child” is one of the oldest existing Ukrainian icons.