Located with its back turned to Svobody prosp. and the monument of Тaras Shevchenko, this is considered one of the more mystical places in Lviv. Much like the Jesuits themselves, the structure is meant to be kept an enigma and random tourists will find it difficult to gain full access. The church was constructed in the beginning of the 17th century and is modelled after the classic Church of the Gesù in Rome. The size of the church is impressive: 41metres long, 26 metres high and 22.5 metres wide. Lviv’s founding Jesuits are historically characterized as aggressive missionaries who quickly established a devout following. The sect was also known for its savvy in the area of property development. When they first settled in Lviv in the 16th century they possessed absolutely no property. When Austria ordered the abolition of the Jesuits 1848, the Lviv brotherhood owned property worth up to one million thalers (big bucks for that time). A section of the premises is currently occupied by the Lviv Scientific Library and is used as an archive.
Excursion starts every hour from 13:00 until 18:00 and can be ordered in Ravlyk Salon (Svobody prosp. 15, tel. 0 32 298 25 95). Exhibition admission 3Hr, student 2Hr. Underground excursion 9Hr, student 7Hr.