The tiny village of Radonezh, just 15 kilometers from Sergiev Posad, is closely linked to St. Sergius who was settled there by Ivan Kalita and eventually founded the Trinity Monastery to the north of of the town. Today, the remnants of Radonezh are located on an elevated cape, rounded by a curve of the Pazha River. The main attraction is the monument to St. Sergius opened in front of the local church in 1988. Designed by Vyacheslav Klykov, it was the first public statue to be erected in the Soviet Union without permission from the authorities. Though the population of the village numbered just 5 people in 2010, there is still a beautiful church to be found there. The Tserkov’ Preobrazhenia (Church of Transfiguration) was built between the years of 1836 and 1842.