The heart of the old town features almost all must-see attractions in Novi Sad. The pedestrian zone consists of Zmaj Jovina, Pašićeva, Svetozara Miletića, Laze Telečkog, part of Dunavska streets, Katolička porta and Trg slobode squares. The Freedom Square (Trg slobode) has been the stage for most significant events, whether cultural or political. It is also the usual rendezvous point and the man place for feeding fat pigeons. The square is dominated by two buildings facing one another: City Hall built in 1895 (an exact copy of the City Hall in Graz) and the Name of Mary Roman Catholic Church known as the Cathedral, built in 1895 in the neo-gothic style. The square is encircled by the ‘lead soldier’ building from 1909 (dubbed so after the sculpture of an armoured soldier carrying a halberd, perched on the top of the building), Bank of Vojvodina building (erstwhile Grand Hotel Mayer) and the long two-floor building of Vojvodina Hotel from 1746 (the oldest hotel in town). A monument to Svetozar Miletić, Novi Sad mayor and a champion of political rights of the Serbs in the 19th century occupies the centre of the square.
From there, the pedestrian zone further stretches to Zmaj Jovina Street, the main promenade and the commercial centre of the town. The street is lined with numerous open-terrace cafés and pastry shops, favourite with those who love to sit back and idly watch the world go by. A monument to Jovan Jovanović Zmaj (Zmaj - Dragon), Serbian doctor and poet, loved for his nursery rhymes, is at the far end of the street. He is also known as the author of the first postcard in the world (sent from Vienna in 1870, featuring a dragon, what else). The street ends with the building of the Bishop’s Palace, which is the see of the Bačka Episcopacy of the Serbian Orthodox Church (built in 1901), with the Cathedral Church (Saborna) right behind. The corner of Zmaj Jovina and Dunavska streets is the location of the oldest preserved house in Novi Sad (1720) known as ‘At the White Lion’s’, which nowadays houses the Irish Pub.
Dunavska street, also packed with shops and cafés, leads towards the Danube Park and the Danube river. At the beginning of the street, you can see one of the pockmarks on the town face - the cannon ball which remained buried in the building exterior walls (where it landed during the 1849 shelling of the town). A characteristic feature of these old streets are numerous passageways and courtyards concealing many restaurants, cafés and boutiques, so plunge in and enjoy. The latest town attraction is the small street of Laze Telečkog, full of cafés, bars and restaurants.