When construction was completed in 1930, Riga’s Central Market was one of the largest and most modern marketplaces on the European continent. Nearly 90 years later, four of the five pavilions, which were used as zeppelin hangars during WWI, still serve their original function as meat, fish, produce and dairy markets. The bustling atmosphere also hasn’t changed much, although most of the hawkers are more reluctant to haggle than in the past. The markets spill out beyond the confines of the hangars and operate throughout the day, some longer than others. Each pavilion has slightly different opening hours, so if in doubt check its informative website.