Anyone who walks down Ģertrūdes iela can’t help but notice the monumental neo-gothic church at the beginning of the street. Consecrated in 1869, this red brick masterpiece topped with a green copper spire was designed by one of the city’s most prolific architects, J.D. Felsko. Unfortunately, some of its decorative ornaments cast in concrete are now in a sad state and hang precariously above passers-by. Many of the art nouveau buildings surrounding the church are also worth a look.