One of Riga’s oldest and most popular parks was created in the wake of a colossal error that resulted in the razing of most of the city’s wooden suburbs. The buildings outside the walls of the old town were set to the torch in 1812 in anticipation of Napoleon’s troops that never actually arrived. Wealthy burgher Anna Gertrud Wöhrmann donated the land and other citizens pledged money to create the park. Today it’s still a great place to play some chess with locals, read a book, listen to free concerts at the amphitheatre or just have a picnic on the grass. A number of restaurants and seasonal cafés are also available as well as a large children’s playground.