In about 1220 a little Romanesque church dedicated to the evangelist St. John was built just outside the city walls of ’s-Hertogenbosch. By 1380 the church was too small and a larger Gothic version of St John’s church was built in its place with a choir aisle and the radiating chapels. Over the years the 115m long and 62m wide building has been decorated both inside and out with about 600 statues. The most famous of these is the sculpture of Our Sweet Blessed Lady. By 1505 the original Romanesque church was deconstructed, excluding the bottom part of the spire, which ended up being a part of the western tower of the new church. Throughout the years the church was embellished with numerous works of art including the beautifully carved wooden choir stalls and the 16th-century pulpit. The construction of the church reached its completion in 1530. In 2000 restoration operations to this UNESCO monument once again ensued and continue to this day, although just recently the scaffolding was moved.