One of the few churches in Lithuania converted from a dwelling house, this strange-looking church was bought by the Jesuits in 1930 and converted for religious use. The church was closed by the occupying Soviet regime soon after the end of the Second World War and the two priests who oversaw its construction thrown in prison. Spending time as a warehouse, gym and theatre, St. Ignatius’ was returned to the Jesuits in 1990. The Papal visit to Lithuania in 1993 saw not only Pope John Paul II visit the church but use the attached residence as his chosen place to stay. With no tower, the church is impossible to see from anywhere but close up. Find it hidden away just south of Vilniaus, close the junction with Žemaitės.