The Holy Synod is a ruling body of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church. The beautiful ornate building of the Holy Synod was built in 1908 by Petko Momchilov and J Milanov. Red and gold Majolica tiled friezes wrap the building, the central mosaic portrait depicts three members of the Holy Synod. Sadly much of original sculptural elements were destroyed during the Second World War. This building is the residence of the Bulgarian Patriarch and is not open to the public.