The largest Synagogue in the Balkans and third largest in Europe was built between 1905 and 1909 by Austrian architect Gruenanger in Spanish-Mauritanian and Byzantine style. The building is a smaller replica of the Sephardic synagogue in Vienna, which was destroyed during the Second World War. With seating for over 1000 people, tt is open to visitors and worshippers.
A museum tracing the history of Jews in Bulgaria is to be found inside the synagogue building. Of particular interest is the permanent exhibition dedicated to the saving of the Bulgarian Jews during WWII.