This monastery was built around the church of Nikolay the Miracle Worker, which was built at the end of the 12th century and restored to its current state in 1541. The monastery itself was first mentioned in chronicles in 1500, and the present-day monastery includes 17th-19th century buildings. According to legend, the founding of the monastery was connected with Alexander Nevsky and his victory in the Neva battle in 1240, in which a detachment from Ladoga also fought. During the Time of Troubles the monastery was totally destroyed, and was only restored in the 1620s. A religious parish school was set up in the Nikolsky cathedral in 1810, later followed by a school for the village’s children; V. M. Maximov, the famous artist, was educated here. A stone wharf on the banks of the river Volkhov has been constructed for visitors, along with a 25-step staircase and two approach ramps.