After the 1917 Revolution and the following Russian Civil War, the Jewish community of St. Petersburg lost many members due to emigration. The Soviet authorities imposed restriction on bank accounts related to the synagogue and also announced the dissolution of the Jewish community of St. Petersburg. In post-revolutionary years no serious repairs were done in the synagogue building. On the threshold of 1980 Olympics held in Moscow and Leningrad, Leningrad Synagogue got into the number of the main sites of interest. That is why in 1978 the state allocated considerable resources to its repairs.
After the $5 million donation by the Safra family in 1999, the Synagogue underwent a revamp between 2000 and 2005. Upon conditions of the donation the St. Petersburg Synagogue was renamed The Edmond J. Safra Grand Choral Synagogue. Today, the Grand Choral Synagogue of St. Petersburg is the second largest in Europe and an architectural monument of federal importance. It's about 3,200 sq. metres in area and its domed tower is 47m high. The majestic Grand Hall can accommodate 1,200 worshippers. The synagogue's complex also consists of the Small Synagogue (Mikvah), kosher restaurant Le'Chaim and a gift shop called Kosher, where you can buy rabbi matryoshkas!
Show on map
Open 10:00 - 18:00.
Closed Sat and Jewish holidays.