Beyond its functional and commemorative qualities, the project was also envisaged as a bit of one-upmanship of the Germans, whose own Victory Tower in Berlin stood at 62m at the time. Other than its impressive height, the structure's most distinctive feature is the 7-tonne copper statue of Winged Victory perched at its top, which is the work of sculptor Giovanni Mayer, who was also responsible for the 9m tall seaman statue affixed to the front of the monument. Below this is an inscription reading: 'Shine and remind of the fallen on the sea MCMXV - MCMXVIII'. And shine it does to this very day, with its 1000-watt halogen bulb visible to ships plying the waters of the northern Adriatic up to 41km away.
Open 15:00-19:00 Sat-Sun, and by prior arrangement (three days advanced notice for individuals, 20 days for groups).