Today the only line still operating over what was once the extensive route system of the Belfast and County Down Railway is that from Belfast Central to Bangor.
The BCDR was founded in 1846 and the first stretch of a system that was eventually to cover some 80 miles throughout County Down – to Newcastle (opened in 1869), Ballynahinch (1858), Downpatrick, Ardglass (from Downpatrick in 1892), Castlewellan (from Newcastle in 1906), Comber – was opened to Holywood in 1848.
In 1865 the Holywood and Bangor Railway extended the line along the shore of Belfast Lough into Bangor. In the 1950s the other routes were closed.
Today, though, the Belfast-Bangor line is one of the most successful in the Northern Ireland Railways system, serving what is commonly known as the Gold Coast, a wealthy stretch of luxury homes and fashionable small towns, hamlets and communities, many of which can be seen along the loughside on the left.
Several small stations on the line no longer exist – Ballymacarrett Junction, Kinnegar and Craigavad – though what remains can still be seen as the train rolls past. Originally all the lines ran from Queen’s Quay Station, now part of the development along the River Lagan and where the Odyssey now stands. Queen’s Quay was one of three terminals in Belfast, the others being York Road (serving Londonderry and Larne Harbour) and Great Victoria Street (also serving Londonderry, Mid-Ulster, Fermanagh, Donegal and Dublin), but in 1976 all the lines were brought under one roof with the building of Belfast Central Station.
Central Station provides an excellent hub for all the railway lines: you can travel from Bangor through to Newry, Londonderry and Larne Harbour. A small station was rebuilt at Great Victoria Street as part of the Translink (the holding company for NIR) integrated train/bus transport services around Northern Ireland and trains from Great Victoria Street run through Central Station.