The most central of Katowice's parks, though it gets outmuscled in acreage by the Silesia Park and Katowice Forest Park, Kościuszko Park is still an impressively sizeable 72 hectares. Starting life as a mere six-hectare municipal wooded park way back in 1888 the park has grown in size and variety and now features over 90 species of trees and shrubs including linden, beech, cherry, rhododendrons and azaleas. There are also classic English gardens including an avenue of roses and typical English flower beds. Other features include sculptures by local artists, the gorgeous wooden Church of St. Michael the Archangel, and the extraordinary Parachute Tower close to its southern border. Allegedly the only thing of its kind in the country, it was on top of this tower that a group of Polish scouts attempted to defend the city from the Germans on September 4, 1939. A small monument next to it marks the event.