Housed inside a glorious neo-Renaissance turn of the century hotel, the former headquarters of the Silesian Museum (1984-2015) dates back to the 1920s. There are only temporary exhibitions now as the permanent collection has been moved to the new Silesian Museum headquarters at ul. T. Dobrowolskiego 1. The original Silesia Museum had actually been completed in 1939 however the beautiful and massive modernist building was destroyed in the war before the exhibitions were even installed. After the war the Silesian Museum and it's remaining collections fought and sought to find a permanent home but political instability made it almost impossible. Finally in 1984 the Silesian Museum opened in the Grand Hotel, however, from the very start its tenure in this location was considered temporary. The relocation of the permanent collection to the new site down the road at the former Katowice Coal Mine was planned for fifteen years and took almost ten years to complete.
Open 10:00 - 20:00. Closed Mon.