This synagogue was built in 1895 despite severe anti-Semitic oppression prevalent at the time. Local architect Nicolay Gardenik designed the synagogue, which had to be officially declared a private residence in order to avoid problems with authorities. The decision to build was made by the famous Kyiv patron of the arts Gabriel Jacob Rosenberg and Rabbi Yevsey Zuckerman, and was built for the parishioners of 12 small Jewish meeting houses in Podil. In 1929 the building was nationalised and given to a small producers union. The structure survived World War II and reopened as a synagogue. It remained the city’s only working synagogue until 2000.