Located on ul. Walecznych (near ul. Unicka), the New Jewish Cemetery has existed since 1829, with the exception of the Nazi destruction of WWII, but has since been revalorized in its new structuring. It is surrounded by a wall, shaped as a row of symbolically-damaged matzevots (ENG: Jewish gravestones). Near the entrance, a monument-mausoleum with a small synagogue houses the Memorial Chamber of Lublin Jews. In the 21st century, the cemetery is used as a burial place by the tiny Jewish community that still remains in Lublin. Other notable sights here include an obelisk commemorating the extermination of the Jews, the quarters of the Jewish soldiers serving in the Polish army in 1944-45 and an empty ohel (ENG: tent-shaped gravestone) of a grave of Rabbi Maier Szapiro, founder of the yeshiva (ENG: Orthodox Jewish seminary) in Lublin.